Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Day One

Having just started this I am not sure how to start, but I am sure that this will come with time.
It is a Friday, about 7:30am, I am sitting at work trying to figure out what I am going to do today. Work has been sporadic lately, constantly waiting for other people to complete things so that I can continue to work. This means long periods of idle time and a few scares of whether I will be employed here much longer. The old adage that if you don't appear to be busy, then you are not, and you are surplus, regardless of your value to the company as a whole.

I had some trouble getting my BLOG started last night, from home, and I hope that this is not a sign of things to come. I would much prefer to do these entries from home, not from work.

Hoping to continue to blade this afternoon. I have been under the weather this week, but have continued to go for my evening blade. This has been rough, aerobic activity when you are stuffed up is not optimum, but it has been good. Running close to 800km as my total distance right now, that would be 2/3 of my 1,200km goal - and it is only June. I should surpass my 242km I did in May this month, easily, as I am only 32km off that goal right now, with lots of days left in the month. I will not be able to accumulate quite as many kms in July as I have the kids with me for 2 weeks, leaving only about 10 blading days or so, same for August; but that should be enough to reach my goal.
My treat for reaching this goal is to buy a new pair of blades. Right now, I am looking at the Bont Shark Attack (www.bont.com). These are 5-wheel blades, a good starter set of racing blades. I don't intend on racing, but I would like to work towards one day entering the Duluth Marathon (42km along the North Shore in Duluth Minnesota) or if my body allows, the Athens/Atlanta race (136km from Athens to Atlanta Georgia).

At 41 I feel I am in better phsyical shape than I was when I was 30. The years from 30-39, for me, were not the best. I was not terribly active, and once the kids were born things just spun out of control. I am finally getting back to where I should be. I have never been an athlete as such, never could do fitness programs. Working out at the gym would never do it for me. However, I love to bike and blade. I used to be a pretty good skier, but it is more difficult to do, distance and expense.

Hmm, I better do some work.....employment is important, pays the bills