Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Elections

It is somewhat ironic that both the US and Canada have elections which are occurring at the exact same time. Gives us an opportunity to compare the two systems.
I was appalled earlier this week though. Here in Canada we had the English and French language debates between the 4 major contenders, on successive nights. The day after the English-language debate I expected to see some news blurbs on Yahoo-Canada's headlines which is my home page. I subscribe to all the biggies including Associated Press Canada as well as Canadian Political news, also from Associated Press. Not a single mention of the Canadian debates. Were there any reporters from Associated Press in attendance? Hmm, actually, the biggest story of the moment was that Kerry had raised $100M over the past 3 months. This was under the title of Canadian Political News.....go figure....

The length and expense of the American political system astounds me. I recognize that this is private money and that Federal funds, as they are in Canada, are capped; but when I see statements that Bush has $218M in the bank (not including what he has spent to date) I just begin to wonder if this has all gone a little too far.

I think the US should turf the electoral college though. It seems silly that a presidential candidate can win the majority of the popular vote, nation-wide, but lose the Presidency. Although it could possibly occur in Canada, it is much less likely because of how our system is structured.
It is the winner-take-all approach which is at fault. If the state has 10 electoral votes, and the candidate receives 60% of the popular vote, then they should get 6 votes, not 10.

Just my two-cents worth (about 5-cents Canadian).....