Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Jury Duty

I was called to be selected for jury duty. This happened before, for a civil trial, a few years back. Civil trials are normally settled before they go to trial and this was the case with this one as well.

However, this was a criminal trial, so I did not expect it to be cancelled. It was originally scheduled for November 4th, but it was then postponed til December 2nd. When they postponed it the sheriff indicated that it was scheduled for 29days...yikes.
My employer was freaked, I was freaked....6 weeks.

It got me thinking about jurys. Maybe the time and place for jurys are gone. A whole bunch of people who know nothing, or next to nothing, about the law making judgement on someones life.. Maybe we should rethink all of this. A judicial tribunal might be more appropriate, their legal view would be more appropriate and correct.

They cancelled the case in any case....another 2 year reprieve.