Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Thanksgiving

I certainly hope that all Canadian's had a great Thanksgiving. For our American friends, hope their Columbus Day was great.

I was told once that the US used to share Thanksgiving with us, but it was moved. I cannot remember if there was a direct reason, but I vaguely recall that it was that the harvest was not yet over, and giving thanks was premature. Will do some research on this one and find out.

For me, I travelled to the island with the throngs to visit the family unit. Makes for a long day, leaving at 8:30am and not arriving home until 10:00pm or so. Most of it is either on a bus, or on a ferry boat. Was kinda a gray and often rainy day, but the pub-food was great as was the beer. The ferries were very busy, as were the busses.

I wish they would provide better parking in Horseshoe Bay, and I might be inclined to take the car. Not that I mind taking the bus, certainly environmentally a better decision, but sometimes it is nice to walk off the ferry and into your car, rather than standing in line with piles of people juggling for a seat on the bus.
I like Nanaimo, and could probably live there, if it were not for my situation. I could live in Victoria also, but again, would be impossible logistically for me to manage. Wouldn't want to be always reliant on the ferries to get around.
In the old days, when I lived in Victoria going to school, it was not that big a deal, you could usually get on board without any issue. Now, it seems to be always busy, at least on the Nanaimo run. They are building some new ferries, and I look forward to that and hope it reduces the hassle, especially on long weekends, but I am not confident. Looks like reservations are a way of the future.