Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

weather

Normally, September is a very nice month, dry and warm. This year that seems not to be the case. The last week has been quite cool and wet. Last night was absolutely nasty.
It was like November, with torrential rain and leaves all over the ground. It was also dark, really dark.

Break out the woolies.

This morning, being Saturday, is cool but I just saw the sun shining. Hoping to get out for a blade as this week has been problematic, with work and weather issues. I have a touch of a cold as well, possibly due to the inversion, maybe due to other factors. I should be ok, good to get out and sweat. My new blades have not yet arrived, which makes me a little mad. They were sent via mail, and that could take a while. I was hoping for a good month to break them in, but with the weather and their late arrival, that might not happen. I should be patient, but I had expected them to be couriered, so hearing that they were mailed was not impressive.

Curling starts soon. I noticed that the open-houses at the Richmond Winter Club are on the 19th. Not in town that day, but I might wander over one day. I really have to call Marpole and get that all sorted out, that should be starting soon as well. I was hoping to curl more times a week this year, but will have to see if I can arrange it, and financially handle it. This time of year I have money in the bank as my CPP and EI are paid up, so they are not taken off my bi-weekly cheque. This is great, but ends in January. Try to be more intelligent about the use of this money, putting it away, against my RRSP or in the kids RESP would be its proper deployment. Gives me a bit of a chance to get ready for Christmas.

Trying to think about Christmas now so that it is not a big financial and timewise rush come December. Have to plan out Daniel's birthday as well, which is in late December as well as my dad's 70th. Just what do you get a 70 year old man, I have some ideas, but it is not easy.

My wireless router is working great, I love it. I can roam about the house. at will wth my work laptop, which is great. Using at work does not seem to work very well, not sure why. Seems to connect and disconnect all of the time, not so at home. Have to ask about that, would have thought that our work connections would be pretty good, they have wireless routers all over the building. That really is the way to go. Now, if we could get wireless hotspots all over the city we would be sitting pretty.