Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Homeless

Every morning I go for coffee at Starbee. On the same block as my java destination there parks a car.
Now, this happened last year as well. For quite some time, normally 2-3 days of the week, this car was parked on the block. It appeared to be filled with stuff, and I gathered after a few glances that someone was living in the car. The car moves, and sometimes it was gone for a few days, only to return.
I saw the person who was residing in the car when she went for coffee, and she looked reasonably well dressed. Definitely not the picture you would normally conjure when you thought of someone who is homeless.

Well, the car disappeared for some time. She had moved on, or maybe found accomodation. Last week, however, I note it is back.

A few years ago there were reports about the housing situation in Alberta. It was going through a boom, especially Calgary, and people were unable to find accomodation. These were families, people with good paying jobs and opportunities, but they just could not find a place to live. It makes you wonder.
And, I begin to wonder about this lady, her status, what makes her live out of her car, what situation has forced her to be like this.