Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Beer

I enjoy a good beer. I especially like the smaller breweries, craft brewed. My local store carries some of what I like, but not all, sometimes I have to hunt around.

Tonight I picked up a Porter. Been a few years since I bought Porter, Okanagan Spring makes a particularly good one, but for a while they reduced its distribution. Now they have started to distribute to more stores.
Anyways, it is a stronger beer, 8.5%, brewed in the Old English style of Porter which was produced in London. A different taste, but enjoyable.

My preference would have to be Stout. Now, making that statement would immediately bring forward Guiness. While when I am out, I pick Guiness above all others, at home it just does not do well. They have these widget cans, and the beer itself comes from St James Gate, but I am not convinced that this is the way to serve Guiness. Having travelled Ireland, the way they serve it there is to pour it, let it stand, then top it up. The process takes about 5 minutes and it just tastes better. Pulling a can from the fridge just does not cut it.
There are a couple of good stouts which come out of a bottle well. My favourite, lately, is the St Ambroise from Quebec, which has a good strong taste. Kootenay also makes an Oatmeal Stout that is particularly good.

Of course, when I travel in the US, it has to be Sam Adams (or bust).