Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Lance

Way to go Lance (Armstrong). What an amazing feat, 6 time champion of the Tour De France. Well, I guess I should wait until tomorrow to extend that (full) accolade, but I think he has it pretty well wrapped up.
He has indicated he will not ride it again next year, chosing to attend other races. In one way too bad, but that might mean you can ride in the major Quebec race which is a couple of weeks before the Tour.

For us North Americans, we need to have a major star before we really start to see this as a sport. In Europe this is no issue, but here we don't really follow racing, and we do not have a lot of major events. This is too bad, we need to do some of this. This is the same for other sports as well, when was the last time you saw a cricket match here, or field hockey, or rugby or even soccer. Big in other countries, not really well attended here. Is it that we have low attention spans, so we cannot follow matches which may extend beyond one day (cricket or cycling), or need games which have constant scoring? Not sure.

Been trying to convince my son that it is not the number of gears which are important on the bike but how you use them. He is gear crazy right now, convinced that his 6-speed bike is not sufficient for his needs, wanting a 12, 18 or 21-speed. Trying to tell him that the bike LA rides only has 10 speeds, and that I never use more than 7 on my bike, despite that I have 21, but so far it is not working.
Only bought this bike last year, so he ain't getting a new one in any case, the bike is pretty cool as it is (wish I had a new bike).