Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Saturday morning

Saturday morning and again up at 6am. Looks like it will be warm here today. It has been very warm, mid-thirties, over the past few days. I am going to try and beat the heat and go for an early blade.

I received a new laptop at work yesterday. It is a lot of work to transfer stuff from my old environment, to my new one. Not sure what it is doing right now, tells me it has 3 hours worth of work to do, synchronizing my mail or something. I am hoping that I did not scramble it somehow last night when I was attempting to transfer my 15,000 mail messages I have accumulated. Probably. The way I use our corporate email is different than the way that they want us to use it. I prefer to keep my mail local on my machine, not on their server. In this way I can review my email wherever I am, on or offline. Why have a laptop if you have to be connected to the corporate network to review your email. Anyways, they make snarly faces when I do this.
I think it is attempting to send all of that email to the server. Oh well, just let it run I guess.

Since about 2000/2001 I have been running SetiAtHome on my machines, as many as I have control over. I see recently that they have changed to a new form, called BOINC. Berkeley will use this to distribute the software so that they can modify the algorithms without forcing us to download new software all of the time. I liked Seti@home before as it had a pretty nifty screen saver, showing its signal processing. I see that this is gone, or I have not been able to find it as yet. However, looks like this software calculates how fast your machine is and attempts to keep you ahead and pre-download stuff to do. So far it has not told me that I have done any work, maybe this is not yet running. In the old version you tracked your progress through the number of work-packages you completed and the total CPU time. I had 6-odd years of CPU time accumulated, good enough for 75,000 place if you can believe it.

I am not sure that I actually believe in the presence of ET. However, it is a neat idea to search for it using radio signals, who knows, maybe it will be found one day.