Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Happy Canada Day

I cannot say that I am a big Canada Day celebrator. Not that I am not a patriot, nor that I do not love this country, but more of a quiet, enjoy the day person. That might, in fact, be quite Canadian.

Planning to spend this day cleaning and doing all of the little household things which I need to do to get ready for Saturday, and the arrival of the kids. Just a lot of little things to do. I bought some more clothes yesterday, mainly so that I had a full set here and did not have to rely on what came down in the suitecase. Makes it much easier to plan things when you are not reliant on someone else to provide the essentials.

The weather is pretty perfect today. I think Canada Day is either fantastic, or awful - there seems to be no in-between. Anyways, this year is perfect. I will get out for a blade this morning, when it is cooler and there is less wind. That will be nice, been very hot lately when I go in the evenings. With it being cooler, I may be able to go for a longer distance, something I have just not been able to do when it has been warmer. As I am putting my blades away for a few weeks, it would be nice to give one last long one before I do.

The planes have been using the north runway a lot lately. From where I live, which has a south-facing exposure, and with the windows wide-open, the planes starting their take-offs at 6am can be somewhat loud. It was this morning. There are still a few of the older DC9s and 727s around, mostly the courier companies, and they are very loud when they take off. Most of the newer jets are not too bad, loud does not equal power. Please tell that to the Harley riders who remove their mufflers to create more noise. Funny, this applies to stereos as well. I have a pretty good stereo, and I used to go into stores and the salesperson would immediately crank the volume to show me how good it is. Wrong! It is how clear it is, and how well it handles the transients which is important.

More later