Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Curling

This year I decided that I wanted to curl in the men's league. It was a stretch for me, having only curled for one year. I have good weight, generallly light, but reasonably consistent, and felt that entering as a lead would be a good fit for me.
I found a team, and they are a good bunch of people.. However, the stones and ice at my curling club have changed this year and people are struggling. People are throwing heavy, even me, and I have been really struggling to get my weight right.

I had a really bad week last week, I curled really poorly and felt I really let my team down. I know that they were not happy with me. I was not happy with me. During the week I worked really hard to practise, to get my weight correct....started timing my shots to find how the weight was. Anyways, Wednesday night came about. Well, I curled fantastically, I missed only 1 of all the shots I through, my weight was spot on. We won, although not primarily because of how I did, but I have to take some credit for it.
As the lead, you set up the end. If your lead is curling well, then things are setup properly. I was way out-curling their lead which meant that when our second threw we were ahead, and things were doing well.

I hope I can continue the trend, it was a nice feeling...