Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Goals

For blading, this year, I set out 3 goals to which I wanted to achieve.

1) Blade 1,500km for the year
2) Increase my daily blade from 15km to 20km
3) To blade a marathon distance (42km) at least once during the year

Although I have not reached #1 yet, I am only about 250km short of that target, easily reachable either in August or early September (barring anything unforseen).
I had some issues with my ankles early in the season which made longer distances very difficult. I have since overcome these and my standard blade is now 23km. My average for the year is 18.83km and if I continue with 23km as my standard distance I may get close to, if not surpass an average blade of 20km.

The last goal has turned out to be more difficult than I had imagined. I knew I had the fitness to blade 42km but I was finding that the turnarounds were making it difficult. My course is 15km, which means I have to lap the course 3 times in order to complete the distance. I have found that the turnaround is a psychological barrier that I have had to work very hard to overcome.
This becomes more pronounced when there is a strong wind.

In any case, today I was able to reach that distance. There was a reasonably strong wind which made the final home stretch quite difficult, but I was able to complete the distance. I cannot say it was enjoyable, but it certainly was an achievement.