Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

My Son

My son has come to live with me. This has to be one of the more dramatic changes in my life in probably the past 4 years. In February, the 3rd to be precise; I received an email which detailed the incredible difficulty with which my ex-wife was having with our son.
A little history may be in order. In August she had re-aquainted with her ex-fiance, long before our marriage. What happened in August was that he moved in. My two kids have never met the man, suddenly he was there.
This was very dramatic, and created tremendous stress within the household as the kids were expected to respect him as a 'father' figure, but had never met him...nor were they given the chance to get to know him.

In any case, this reached a critical point in January and in early February it was decided that he should come and live with me. I was not involved in the decision, not that I would ever say 'no', but it was a significant shock for me and I had to dramatically re-work my life. We got him registered in school and setup here...and things have worked out quite well. He is back with me again this year and I am quite pleased.

I have noted a significant improvement in him over the past year, his school work has improved, he has lost some weight and things are just better. I (try and) lead a fairly stress-free and non-chaotic life and I think that this environment has really helped him as well. We have him registered in extracirricular activities and we are pretty (darn) active...so that has helped as well.

More on that later.