Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Pope vs Islam

Faith does not factor in to my equation. Whether you are muslim, jewish or a christian really is not that relevant to me. I do get frustrated when it pushes my envelope, the one I establish for what I believe.

But that is not what this blog is about. What I have recently found interesting is what happened when the Pope made references to comments about the Muslim faith. He was quoting from a text, and why he had chosen to do this I cannot say. It seemed out of place, unless he was making a point about something.
In any case, what I find alarming was the reaction from many people. All people have to accept criticism, we have to be able to hear it, note it and if relevant maybe consider it. Does not mean we have to do anything about it, but we should be able to hear it. What happened was curious though, he was quoting a text which discussed the fact that many within the faith would declare holy war to justify a violence. What happened in response to that was exactly what was stated.
I find it hilarious that in their condemnation of his statements, they acted in exactly that fashion and I believe a catholic nun was killed as the result.

Has this world gone out of control? How can we justify these actions and at the same time claim to be a positive influence on people and the world.