Name:
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I am a divorced father of two working as a software engineer. As my kids are younger, I spend a lot of time planning my visits and organizing my time around that.

Monday, June 13, 2005

helmets

I inline-skate practically every day, and consider myself fairly good at it. I rarely, if ever fall and have (thankfully) never done any serious injury to myself on the road.

I wear a helmet, and I wear wrist protection when I blade. I consider it pretty darn important. Just as, when I bike I wear a helmet whether the kids are with me, or whether they are not.

Yesterday, when I stopped for something to eat on my way home from the interior I noted a family, dad and daughter on bikes, and mom on inline skates...not wearing helmets or any other protective gear. I figured that mom must be a good blader, as some people do not wear any protection...but nope, when I watched her she looked uncomfortable and not at ease on her blades.

Bad form people. Noth withstanding that it is the law where I live to wear protection (it is not, but should be for blading as well as biking), it is just intelligent. It also is something you want to encourage and pass on to your children, good habits.